Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Lenten Meditation Day 29

Day 29

Psalm 94
The Lord will avenge the just
God punishes wicked conduct; he has called you to share his holiness.
You must have nothing to do with impurity (1 Thessalonians 4:6-7).
I
O Lord avenging God,
avenging God, appear!
Judge of the earth, arise,
give the proud what they deserve!

How long, O Lord, shall the wicked,
how long shall the wicked triumph?
They bluster with arrogant speech;
the evil-doers boast to each other.


They crush your people, Lord,
they afflict the ones you have chosen.
They kill the widow and the stranger
and murder the fatherless child.

And they say: “The Lord does not see;
the God of Jacob pays no heed.”
Mark this, most senseless of people;
fools, when will you understand?

Can he who made the ear, not hear?
Can he who formed the eye, not see?
Will he who corrects nations, not punish?
Will he who teaches men, not have knowledge?
The Lord knows the thoughts of men.
He knows they are no more than a breath.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


II
Happy the man whom you teach, O Lord,
whom you train by means of your law:
to him you give peace in evil days
while the pit is being dug for the wicked.
The Lord will not abandon his people
nor forsake those who are his own;
for judgment shall again be just
and all true hearts shall uphold it.

Who will stand up for me against the wicked?
Who will defend me against those who do evil?
If the Lord were not to help me,
I would soon go down into the silence.

When I think: “I have lost my foothold,”
your mercy, Lord, holds me up.
When cares increase in my heart
your consolation calms my soul.
Can judges who do evil be your friends?

They do injustice under cover of law;
they attack the life of the just
and condemn innocent blood.
As for me, the Lord will be a stronghold;
my God will be the rock where I take refuge.
He will repay them for their wickedness,
destroy them for their evil deeds.
The Lord, our God, will destroy them.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Psalm-prayer
Lord Jesus, you taught your disciples not to fear the world. Do not abandon your inheritance to sinners, nor ignore the power of the enemy against the Church. Grant us always to seek the wisdom of the cross and the blessing of those who suffer for the sake of justice. May we always be filled with your happiness.
Ant. As I live, says the Lord, I do not wish the sinner to die but to turn back to me and live.

READING Zechariah 1:3b-4b
Return to me, says the Lord of hosts, and I will return to you. Be not like your fathers whom the former prophets warned: Turn from your evil ways and from your wicked deeds.

Sacred Silence (indicated by a bell)
A moment to reflect and receive in our hearts the full resonance of the voice of the Holy Spirit and to unite our personal prayer more closely with the word of God and public voice of the Church.
Turn your face away from my sins. Blot out all my guilt.

CONCLUDING PRAYER
O God, who reward the merits of the just
and offer pardon to sinners who do penance,
have mercy, we pray, on those who call upon you,
that the admission of our guilt
may serve to obtain your pardon for our sins.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment